The information below applies to the 2017 program and may change for 2018.
During the hottest months of the year, No More Deaths’s Desert Aid project conducts a summer volunteer program to bring in additional volunteers to cover a lot of ground. The minimum stay is one week.
|Time of year||June–July; week-long sessions|
|Length of stay||One–eight weeks|
|Cost||$300–450 for the first week, $75 for every following week. No one is turned away for lack of funds. See the fee information.|
|Group size||We can accommodate groups of two to four people. The total number of volunteers we can host each session is 10.|
We encourage volunteers with the ability to stay a month or longer to consider the month-long volunteer program instead.
Please note the application deadline for your desired start date. We add summer dates to the application in the spring. Please wait to apply until dates are added.
|Session start date||Session end date||Application deadline|
|Saturday, June 3, 2017||Friday, June 9, 2017||April 1, 2017|
|Saturday, June 10, 2017||Friday, June 16, 2017||April 1, 2017|
|Saturday, June 17, 2017||Friday, June 23, 2017||April 1, 2017|
|Saturday, June 24, 2017||Friday, June 30, 2017||April 1, 2017|
|Saturday, July 1, 2017||Friday, July 7, 2017||May 1, 2017|
|Saturday, July 8, 2017||Friday, July 14, 2017||May 1, 2017|
|Saturday, July 15, 2017||Friday, July 21, 2017||May 1, 2017|
|Saturday, July 22, 2017||Friday, July 28, 2017||May 1, 2017|
All volunteers must attend a training before starting their volunteer work with us. Training takes place every Saturday, so there are eight possible start dates. Please indicate on your application all of the sessions you are hoping to volunteer for. Sessions end every Friday, so there are eight possible departure dates. Please plan to stay for the entire duration of your session or sessions.
A sample weekly schedule is available.
- If you are accepted, a $150 deposit will be due one month before your start date. The balance of your volunteer fee will be due one week before your start date.
- All groups of two or more people must establish a group contact person. This person is responsible for submitting the volunteer-group form on time and making sure that each group member submits their application on time. If the group is invited to participate in the program, the group contact person will also be responsible for making sure that all group members pay the volunteer fee in full.
- Training begins at 9 a.m. All participants must be present for the start of training. Please plan your travel accordingly!
- While No More Deaths provides the meals during training and in the field, volunteers are responsible for buying and preparing their own food during rest days in Tucson.
- All volunteers are expected to bring their own tents, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads. See the packing list.
- For important further details and requirements, see the FAQ that applies to all the volunteer programs, including the summer program.
Steps for applying
- Please read all the information above. Review the FAQ, the fee information, and the sample weekly schedule.
- Find someone from a grassroots organization you have worked with or been involved with (activist collective, nonprofit, advocacy group, volunteer/community-service organization, etc.) to write you a letter of reference. Ask them to email the letter to the volunteer coordinator (email@example.com) by the application deadline.
- Submit the application by the correct deadline.
- If you are part of a group of two to four people, establish a contact person to fill out the volunteer-group form. This must be submitted by the same deadline.
You will receive an invoice by email that will enable you to pay your $150 deposit (see volunteer fees for more information).
For sessions with an April 1 application deadline, you will get a response to your application by April 8. For the May 1 deadline, you will get a response by May 6.