The information below applies to the 2018 program and may change for 2019.
For several years, No More Deaths has conducted a spring volunteer program during the month of March. Spring volunteers spend a week with our Desert Aid project providing direct humanitarian aid. The program emphasizes experiential learning.
Our hope is to engage many different groups in the spring program, such as:
- Student groups on spring break
- Community, social-justice, and faith-based groups involved in border resistance and migrant justice
- Latinx and immigrant communities and other communities of color
- Individuals interested in humanitarian aid and border justice
|Time of year||March; one-week sessions|
|Length of stay||One week|
|Cost||$300–450 per person; see volunteer fees|
|Group size||Six people maximum, including faculty and group leaders|
Individuals who are not a part of a group are absolutely encouraged to apply. We encourage volunteers with the ability to stay a month or longer to consider the month-long volunteer program.
Please note the application deadline for your desired start date. We add spring dates to the application around November. Please wait to apply until dates are added.
|Session start date||Session end date||Application deadline|
|Saturday, March 3, 2018||Saturday, March 10, 2018||January 20, 2018|
|Saturday, March 10, 2018||Saturday, March 17, 2017||January 20, 2018|
|Saturday, March 17, 2018||Saturday, March 24, 2018||January 20, 2018|
All volunteers must attend a training before starting their volunteer work with us. Please plan to stay for the entire duration of your session.
A sample weekly schedule is available.
- The maximum group size is six. This includes faculty and group leaders. Unfortunately we cannot make any exceptions.
- All groups of two or more people must establish a group contact person. This person is responsible for submitting the volunteer-group form on time and making sure that each group member submits their application on time. If the group is invited to come and participate in the program, the group contact person will also be responsible for making sure that all group members pay the volunteer fee in full. Any program participant may contact the volunteer coordinator with questions or concerns, but the group contact person will be the main person in communication with the volunteer coordinator about major group logistics.
- All group members must submit their own application as an individual and indicate which group they are with.
- All groups and individuals accepted to the program must pay their volunteer fees on time.
- All participants must be present for the start of training. Please plan your travel accordingly!
- All volunteers will be camping and are expected to bring their own tents, sleeping bags and sleeping pads. A more detailed packing list will be provided upon acceptance to the program.
- As stated in the FAQ, groups of five or more are asked to provide (rent, borrow, etc.) their own vehicle for transportation to and from the airport as well as to and from our volunteer sites throughout the week. This vehicle must be a four-wheel-drive vehicle, as you will be required to drive on some dirt roads. We will provide transportation for groups of four and fewer.
- For important further details and requirements, see the FAQ that applies to all the volunteer programs, including the spring program.
Steps for applying
- Please read all the information above. Review the FAQ, the fee information, and the sample weekly schedule.
- Find someone from a grassroots organization you have worked with or been involved with (activist collective, nonprofit, advocacy group, volunteer/community-service organization, etc.) to write you a letter of reference. Ask them to email the letter to the volunteer coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the application deadline.
- Fill out and submit your application. All applications must be submitted by January 20, 2018.
- If you are part of a group, establish a contact person to fill out the volunteer-group form by the deadline.
If you are invited to participate in one of the volunteer sessions, you will be notified by the volunteer coordinator by January 27. At this time you will receive more detailed information about how to prepare for your trip. In order to reserve your spot, you must pay the first installment of your volunteer fee by February 3. The remainder is due by March 1.