The No More Deaths personnel committee invites applications for the following paid position. Please submit the application online before the deadline.
- Application deadline
- March 16, 2017
- April 1–May 15, 2017 half time, then
May 15–August 1, 2017 full time, then
August 1–October 1, 2017 half time
- Job definition
- This position requires effective communication and coordination skills to support No More Deaths’s year-round volunteer programs. This position manages the movement of supplies, information and training, volunteers, vehicles, and other resources from Tucson to field sites. The logistics coordinator works closely with the volunteer coordinator as well as with several of the NMD working groups. As the point person for logistics, they are expected to respond in a timely manner to requests and needs, and to delegate responsibilities effectively—making use of the NMD community resources. In all, this role is a meaningful way to assist in the long chain of work to end death and suffering of migrants in the southern-Arizona desert.
To be considered for this position, the applicant must have significant field experience with No More Deaths. For the purpose of vehicle insurance, the applicant must be at least 21 years old and hold a valid driver’s license.
- Coordinating the facilitation teams:
- Build understanding and communication with all field-site long-term volunteers and facilitators.
- Participate in all facilitator/scheduling meetings.
- Maintain calendar for coordinating field sites and facilitators.
- Visit all field sites regularly.
- Collect/disperse gas cards; collect receipts and monitor with bookkeeper.
- Oversee debriefing process for volunteers and leadership teams.
Material aid, vehicles, and resource allocation:
- Coordinate all vehicles coming in and out of the field.
- Work with vehicle committee to ensure vehicle check logs are completed and maintenance occurs promptly, as needed.
- With the vehicle working group and volunteer coordinator, establish the movement of all vehicles, supplies, team leaders, and volunteers for each new transition to the field.
- Make sure all volunteer drivers of NMD vehicles are at least 21 years of age, have valid driver’s licenses, have copies of them on file (an insurance requirement), are qualified/trained to drive 4×4 vehicles in the desert, have signed a NMD driver’s agreement, and have read the backcountry-driving policy.
- At every sendoff to the field, distribute gas cards and reminder lists, help load coolers, food, and other supplies.
- Coordinate water orders, pickup, delivery, and crate return.
- Coordinate with medical team, food-bank/groceries team, special-meals-to-camp team, etc., to provide adequate and timely supplies.
- Oversee housing arrangements for long-term volunteers taking required breaks from camp.
- Assist with setup of NMD cell phones and managing their use.
- Collect, sort, and distribute incoming material-aid donations (oversee St. Mark’s NMD shed).
- Solicit material aid from incoming volunteers and groups.
- Track and submit in-kind-donation forms.
Other (some shared with volunteer coordinator):
- Greet office visitors and be prepared to explain the work of NMD.
- Respond to mail, email, and phone calls promptly.
- Refer inquiries to appropriate persons or working groups. Promptly call Derechos Humanos if there are missing-persons inquiries.
- Oversee NMD office/storeroom at St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church.
- Unlock doors and prepare space for Monday-night and working-group meetings held at St. Mark’s. Ensure space is left as found and locked after.
- Maintain working relationship with St. Mark’s office.
- Attend NMD weekly meeting and appropriate working-group meetings to stay up to date with logistical tasks and questions.
- Meet monthly, or as needed, with support group.
- Provide quarterly report at NMD meeting and respond to regular feedback from support group.
- Provide season-end report to NMD.
- Contract conditions
- Monthly salary of $1,200 full time, $600 half time
- Cell phone provided by NMD
- Access to NMD vehicle, or if not available, transportation expenses related to NMD work will be reimbursed
- Personnel support group will meet with the volunteer on a monthly basis (or as needed) to provide ongoing support and feedback during the time of service
Thanks for your interest in this position!