No More Deaths is accepting applications for the following paid position. To apply, please e-mail your resume and a letter of interest to the personnel committee.
- Application deadline
- March 18, 2018
- Six months with possibility of extension
- 30 hours/week, $10.50/hour
- On January 17, the US Border Patrol arrested a No More Deaths aid worker along with two individuals receiving aid, just hours after the Abuse Documentation working group released a report naming the US Border Patrol in the destruction of humanitarian-aid supplies and interference in aid efforts. The aid worker was preliminarily charged with a federal felony. The following week, nine aid workers appeared in court on federal misdemeanor charges related to humanitarian aid.
This series of events launched No More Deaths into national attention and a political campaign to defend the nine volunteers facing federal charges and protect the ability to continue offering humanitarian aid to migrants crossing through the Arizona borderlands.
- Job definition
- The campaign and legal-defense coordinator will coordinate efforts on multiple fronts of our defense campaign, which has already begun to establish goals and do action planning.
The campaign and legal-defense coordinator will work with the legal-defense support group, the campaign media team, the fundraising and finance working groups, the No More Deaths community, and borderlands organizations and allied groups. The Coordinator will assist in creating structure for the above named working groups to interface, collaborate, and communicate. The coordinator will also be responsible for (1) acting as the point of contact for campaign-related inquiries, (2) working with working groups and support groups to create an action plan for the political campaign, (3) conducting outreach to support campaign-related activities, (4) representing No More Deaths at organizational meetings and in meetings with stakeholders, and (5) managing a budget for the campaign and legal-defense fund.
- Internal structures and coordination within NMD: The campaign and legal-defense coordinator will assist No More Deaths in creating structures of transparency and collaboration between working groups that advance the goals of the campaigns. This will mean attending and helping coordinate meetings of support groups, such as fundraising, media, and legal support.
- Create an action plan for the political campaign, working with working groups and support groups to map out critical dates of the legal campaign and decide on activities that will support the formation and implementation of a political campaign that will support the stated goals. This might include court dates, press releases, and local and national days of action.
- External communications and outreach: The campaign and legal-defense coordinator will send email blasts and social-media updates to campaign supporters, and create outreach strategies to forward the goals of the campaign, such as speaking events, tours, and panels.
- Representation and meetings: The campaign and legal-defense coordinator will attend campaign meetings on Sundays, 6–8:30 p.m., No More Deaths spokescouncil meetings every other Monday, 7–9 p.m. (or find another campaign representative to attend), and, as needed, meetings of allied groups invested in the campaign.
- Action planning: With the campaign working group, the coordinator will help develop and plan targeted actions in support of the campaign’s goals and strategies.
- Fundraising: The coordinator will help develop and promote fundraising efforts to support the campaign, including the already launched crowdfunder, benefit events, merch sales, and speaking-events income.
- Financial accountability: The coordinator will monitor monthly finance reports to track spending and address deviations from the budget. If fundraising falls short or the need for spending is greater than projected, the coordinator will work with the NMD finance team to address and/or propose budget revisions.
- Preferred qualifications
- Experience working with No More Deaths or relationships within the community
- Bilingual Spanish and English preferred
- Campaign or legal-defense experience
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel
- Contract conditions
- Salary of $10.50/hour, 30 hours/week, $1,260/month (before taxes)
- This position does not come with benefits.
- Eligible for a NMD phone
No More Deaths is an equal-opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants. Individuals with personal ties to the border or who identify as coming from an affected community are especially encouraged to apply.
Thanks for your interest in this position!