No More Deaths is accepting applications for the following paid position. To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and fill out the online application before the deadline. Interviews will be conducted the following week.
- Application deadline
- January 7, 2017
- January 19, 2017–July 31, 2017, with possibility of extension
- 20 to 40 hours/week. Number of hours will be chosen by the selected candidate, with 30 being ideal.
- Background and job definition
- In 2015, No More Deaths and La Coalición de Derechos Humanos began collaborating to release a report series documenting how US Border Patrol practices on the ground are fueling a missing-persons crisis. This series, titled Disappeared, uses multiple data sources to shine light on three separate border-enforcement practices. In December 2016, the first report in this series was released.
Abuse-documentation work is conducted by an all-volunteer working group, and the coordinator is supported by and collaborates with all members of the group. The coordinator is responsible, as time permits, for (1) organizational/administrative tasks of the working group, (2) coordinating and supporting quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis by the team, (3) supporting report writing, editing, translating and formatting, (4) organizing and supporting release of report, (5) representing No More Deaths and the NMD–Derechos Humanos collaboration at meetings.
- Organizational/administrative tasks:
- Attend multiple No More Deaths internal meetings
- Track working-group expenses
- Respond to email inquiries
- Schedule meetings and work parties
- Support interns (if any)
Coordinate and support data analyses:
- Support the collection of qualitative data in Nogales, Sonora
- Help create forms to assist with documentation
- Meet with Geographic Information Systems team every week to assist with quantitative data analysis
Support report writing, editing, translating, and formatting:
- Support the volunteer team in the writing and editing of the next part of the report series
- Interface with translators and formatting specialists to keep track of changes and edits
Organize and support release of report:
- Work with the media team and the abuse-documentation team to create a media strategy, update media lists, and engage with reporters
- Support the team by being available to organize event logistics
Represent No More Deaths and the abuse-documentation collaboration of NMD and Derechos Humanos at meetings with:
- Coalitions of migrant-solidarity groups along the border
- US Border Patrol
- Report funders
- Legal firms
- Allied groups
- Preferred qualifications
- Previous experience with No More Deaths or La Coalición de Derechos Humanos
- Experience coordinating teams of employees, volunteers, and interns
- Spanish proficiency
- Experience managing qualitative and quantitative data
- Contract conditions
- Salary of $1,200/month at full time, $900/month for 30 hours, $600/month for 20 hours
- Eligible for a NMD phone and reimbursement of travel expenses
Thanks for your interest in this position!