Category Archives: Press releases

Our press releases are listed here in chronological order.

Trials Begin January 15th

On Tuesday, January 15th at 8:30 AM, No More Deaths will hold a pre-trial press conference outside the Deconcini Federal Courthouse, 400 W Congress.  We ask supporters to join us then and for the rest of week in the courtroom as the trial unfolds.  Please tell us you are coming so we can be in touch if needs or updates arise.


DAILY TRIAL UPDATES


January 15th, 2019, TUCSON, AZ – Four No More Deaths volunteers facing federal misdemeanor charges begin trial today for their humanitarian aid work along the southwest border.  The aid workers are being prosecuted for their efforts to place life-saving food and water on the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, a vast and remote area south of Ajo, Arizona where 91 border crossers are known to have died since 2014 and countless more have gone missing.

“Members of our organization are being criminally prosecuted for placing water in areas where hundreds of people have died of thirst.” says Paige Corich-Kleim, a humanitarian aid volunteer with No More Deaths. “Anybody who has visited the refuge understands the harshness of the terrain and the need for a humanitarian response.”

The summer of 2017 was one of the deadliest on record in Arizona, resulting in a total of 32 known migrant deaths on the Refuge.  No More Deaths volunteers maintained a consistent presence in the area, putting out humanitarian aid supplies and responding to search and rescue calls for missing migrants.  That winter, nine volunteers, in places as disparate as New Orleans, Minneapolis and Seattle, received knocks on their door from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service.  Charges include operating a motor vehicle in a wilderness area, abandonment of property, and entering a wildlife refuge without a permit. One of the defendants is Ajo resident Dr. Scott Warren, who is also charged with felony harboring and conspiracy related to humanitarian aid work.  Dr. Warren’s felony trial is scheduled for May of this year.

The trial begins as the country goes into the fourth week of government shutdown, the longest in history.  “The president is holding the country hostage over his demand for a border wall and claiming the humanitarian aid crisis as justification for his actions,” says Max Granger, another longtime volunteer with the group.  “We believe a humanitarian crisis warrants a humanitarian response.  A border wall will do nothing to alleviate the crisis of death and disappearance along the US-Mexico border.  The protection of the right to give, and to receive, humanitarian aid is essential as long as the government maintains border policies that funnel migration into the most remote parts of the desert.”

Trials are expected to last through the week, with a verdict being issued sometime after trial ends.  Dr. Warren’s misdemeanor trial is scheduled for February and the final round of Cabeza defendants will go to trial in March.

Eight humanitarian-aid workers face federal charges

Contact: 520-240-1641, email, Twitter @NoMoreDeaths

Tucson, Arizona—On Tuesday, January 23, eight humanitarian-aid providers with No More Deaths appeared in court for federal misdemeanor charges relating to their work with the organization in the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, a vast and remote stretch of land near Ajo, Arizona that shares 56 miles with the US–Mexico border. One of the eight individuals is Scott Warren, who was also arrested last week by the US Border Patrol and now faces felony “harboring” charges. Continue reading Eight humanitarian-aid workers face federal charges

Border Patrol arrests humanitarian-aid provider and two individuals receiving care

Contact: 520-240-1641, email, Twitter @NoMoreDeaths

Tucson, Arizona—On January 17 near Ajo, Arizona, a humanitarian-aid provider from the group No More Deaths and two individuals receiving humanitarian aid were arrested by the US Border Patrol. The arrests came hours after the release of a report concluding that the Border Patrol plays a significant role in the destruction of humanitarian-aid supplies. Scott Warren, 35, was preliminarily charged with a felony involving alien smuggling and appeared in court on January 18. He was represented by Bill Walker and released on his own recognizance. The two other individuals remain in custody. Continue reading Border Patrol arrests humanitarian-aid provider and two individuals receiving care

Border Patrol raids humanitarian-aid camp in targeted attack

Contact: Alicia Dinsmore
520-240-1641, email, Twitter @NoMoreDeaths

Thursday, June 15, 6:00 p.m., Arivaca, AZ—In temperatures surging over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the US Border Patrol raided the medical-aid camp of humanitarian organization No More Deaths and detained four individuals receiving medical care. Obstruction of humanitarian aid is an egregious abuse by the law-enforcement agency, a clear violation of international humanitarian law, and a violation of the organization’s agreement with the Tucson Sector Border Patrol. Continue reading Border Patrol raids humanitarian-aid camp in targeted attack

Four sets of human remains found in five days by humanitarian-aid workers near Ajo, Arizona

Contact: Genevieve Schroeder
520-240-1641, email, Twitter @NoMoreDeaths

In the first week of exploration during a new volunteer program in the area of Ajo, Arizona, humanitarian-aid workers discovered four sets of skeletal human remains in five days. One set of remains was recovered in the area of Hat Mountain on December 18, 2016. The other three were subsequently recovered in the Growler Valley.  Continue reading Four sets of human remains found in five days by humanitarian-aid workers near Ajo, Arizona

Trial to begin for 13 Tucson activists that stopped Operation Streamline buses

Contact: Maryada Vallet
520-240-1641, email, Twitter @NoMoreDeaths

TUCSON, AZ—A trial will begin for 13 activists on Monday, 16 March 2015, for charges stemming from a direct action that took place on 11 October 2013 blocking two buses transporting undocumented immigrants to the daily proceedings of “Operation Streamline.Continue reading Trial to begin for 13 Tucson activists that stopped Operation Streamline buses

No More Deaths calls for public pressure to end Gaza assault and Israeli militarism

Humanitarian group endorses boycott, divestment, and sanctions in support of human rights

Web links:

Media contact: Gabriel M. Schivone 520-302-6006

TUCSON, AZ—On July 31, 2014, Tucson-based No More Deaths released a statement condemning Israel’s collective punishment of Palestinian civilians and calling for boycotts, divestment, and sanctions against the Israeli occupation. Continue reading No More Deaths calls for public pressure to end Gaza assault and Israeli militarism